If your idea of paradise is a bookstore or a library, you’ll want to head to Berkeley for the Bay Area Book Festival, which will take place on May 6th and 7th this year.
The Saturday schedule includes events at several indoor locations, while Sunday brings the addition of the outdoor fair.
Highlights for kids at the Bay Area Book Festival:
- A book-themed street fair packed with literary-inspired art and exhibits
- Scavenger hunt at the downtown Berkeley public library (Waldo is hiding there!)
- Performance for preschoolers by the Storytime Band
- Panel discussions about middle grade and YA books, moderated by teens
- Representation from your culture! Bring kids to meet BIPOC authors and hear their voices.
- Family Fun Zone with activities contributed by Lawrence Hall of Science.
As always, there will be free books being given away with lots more available to purchase. Bring a huge tote!
More than 20 Bay Area organizations will bring a wide range of reading, STEM and STEAM activities such as writing, craft-making, DIY book-making, science projects, mind games, and more. Imagine building a robot or making a book as a family!
Might this year be the most fun ever? Maybe so!
[Photos provide by Provide by Bay Area Book Festival]