Thanks to the folks at Subpar Miniature Golf in Alameda for helping us put together this super fun list of things to do with kids in Alameda. Subpar is an incredible indoor mini golf course with food service (and a bar!) complete with seating, pool tables, air hockey, a state-of-the-art arcade, a rad laser maze escape room, and two birthday party rooms.
Here are 25 terrific things to do with kids in Alameda
Where to play with kids in Alameda
- Play putt-putt at SubPar Miniature Golf. Alameda’s custom-built miniature golf arena is a love letter to the East Bay in general and the Island in particular. You will love the unique local touches around every corner including 19 Alameda County Landmark mini golf holes such as Caldecott Tunnel, Park Street Bridge, U.S.S. Hornet, and Lake Merritt. Your kids will also go wild for the video games, laser obstacle course, and party room. Luckily, there’s also a full bar with snacks and adult beverages. 1600 Park Street, Alameda.
- Jump, roll, and tumble all you like at Ruby’s Tumbling with regular classes in tumbling and gymnastics. 2333 Clement Avenue, Alameda.
- Climb and jump or chill with costumes and puzzles at the Swings and Wings sensory-based playspace. 2307 Blanding Avenue Suite E, Alameda.
- Sweeney Open Space is a wide open play area with paths and room to run or scooter. Right nearby, visit the inclusive playground at Littlejohn Park. Sweeney: 1925 Sherman Street, Alameda | Littlejohn: 1401 Pacific Avenue, Alameda.
- Become a Pinball Wizard at Pacific Pinball Museum or High Scores Arcade. Pacific Pinball: 1510 Webster Street, Alameda | High Scores: 1414 Park Street, Alameda.
- Drop in to the City View Skate Park with a concrete bowl, steel ramps, quarterpipes, and ledges for skateboarders. 1177 West Redline Avenue, Alameda.
- The City of Alameda offers all sorts of cool classes & camps through the Recreation and Park Department. Find swim lessons at Aquatech and music lessons at Ozzy’s Music Academy.
- Play a par 3. Corica Park (big golf, not mini) is a 3 par 9-hole course and driving range. For kids enrolled in Youth on Course, games are only $1. One Clubhouse Memorial Road, Alameda
- Drop the kids off at Kids Night Out a few times per month so you can get a date night.
- Check out the Bay creatures in the 800-gallon aquarium system at the Crab Cove Visitor Center. Play at the spacious playground and fields of Washington Park before or after.
- Knock down the pins at Bowlero Alameda on Park Street. Check the website for weekly specials.
- Grab a racket. Public tennis courts can be found at three Alameda parks and pickleball is popular at Lincoln Park.
- Enjoy a movie at the beautiful Alameda Theatre. Tuesday is discount day at Alameda Theatre. They also run deals for kids during the summer. The Cinema Grill makes this theater the perfect spot for pizza and a movie. 2317 Central Ave, Alameda at Park Street.
Where to Explore with Kids in Alameda
- Bike your way along the path on Shore Line Drive. Find kid-friendly cycling routes here.
- Look for little fairy doors. There are doors and tiny villages hidden in plain sight for children to seek.
- Discover a new favorite book. Books, Inc. has an extensive children’s section and frequent author presentations and events. 1344 Park Street, Alameda.
- Enjoy the massive expanse of shallow water and great views at Crown Beach. Older kids might try stand-up paddle boarding (SUP!). Summertime means sand castles and a years old competition. Robert Crown Memorial State Beach, Otis and Westline Drives, Alameda.
- Find new treasures at Toy Safari (the Island’s best toy store with new and used!) or Mommy’s Trading Post (our favorite resale shop). Toy Safari: 1410 Park Street, Alameda | Mommy’s Trading Post: 1428 Park Street, Alameda.
- Walk aboard nautical history. Visit the USS Hornet aircraft carrier that served in World War II and Apollo recovery which is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm, with special overnight adventures available.
- Test drive your newest trike or bike on the many walking paths along the bay or lagoons on Bay Farm Island.
- Explore the largest Antiques Faire/Flea Market in Northern California at Alameda Point on the first Sunday of each month. Collectibles are all more than 20 years old, including furniture, clothes, sporting equipment, Matchbox cars, apparel, dolls, and vintage toys. (This is more fun as a baby-wearing outing and less fun as a bored-five-year-old-pulling-your-arm outing.) 3900 Main Street, Alameda
- Save one December night to stroll down Alameda’s legendary Christmas Tree Lane and enjoy the community vibe.
Where to Eat & Drink with Kids in Alameda
- Visit a kid-friendly brewery. No lie, Alameda has four particularly kid-friendly brewery & brew pub experiences our kids love.
- Check out the Farmers’ Market on Tuesday and Saturday on Webster & Haight [Schedule]. Grab a Donut Petit treat afterward.
- Taste test boba drinks. Find frozen yogurt and your favorite boba all over Alameda – try them all! Yogofina 1335 Park Street | Ding Tea 1342 Park Street | Subpar Miniature Golf 1600 Park Street | iTea 1626 Park Street | Gong Cha 1501 Park Street | Happy Lemon 2321 Santa Clara Avenue
- Breakfast for dinner. Resident Island Dad, Chris Kiuchi, loves Jim’s Coffee Shop for “huge portions of above average greasy spoon fare and lots of booths, plus it opens at 5:30 – what’s not to love? Ole’s Waffle Shop is great too but the breakfast lines are certainly not kid-friendly. Save Ole’s for a special meal.” Jim’s: 2333 Lincoln Ave, Alameda | Ole’s: 1507 Park Street, Alameda
- Gobble up the fresh pizza at Tomatina on Park Street. The casual setting is super family-friendly and the menu has something for everyone. And the best part? Kids eat for FREE on Thursdays after 4 pm!
[Look for restaurants to eat outside in Alameda]
7 Upcoming Events for Alameda Kids
Wednesday, December 7, 20223:00 PM: Fish Feeding Viewing @ Crab Cove Visitor Center
3:30 PM: School-Age Kids' Storytime @ Main Library | Alameda Free Library
Thursday, December 8, 202210:30 AM: Preschool Storytime @ Main Library | Alameda Free Library
10:30 AM: Preschool Storytime @ Bay Farm Branch | Alameda Free Library
Friday, December 9, 20225:15 PM: Free Outdoor Xmas Movie @ Neptune Court and Adventure Court
Saturday, December 10, 202210:00 AM: Breakfast with Santa @ Albert H. DeWitt O’Club
10:30 AM: Toddler Storytime @ Main Library | Alameda Free Library
Thanks again for all these great ideas for things to do with kids in Alameda, Subpar! See you around the island!
SubPar is located at 1600 Park Street in Alameda at Lincoln Ave.